Ice Apple is a fruit which we enjoy in the hot summer. Ice Apple is also called Tadgola, Toddy Palm, Nungu in Tamil, Munjalu in Telugu and it is a natural coolant, good to have in summers.
Nungu Payasam / Ice Apple Kheer is a delicious seasonal dessert which can be served after a good meal.
To make Nungu Payasam
- 12 Ice apple Fruit peeled and chopped
- 1 liter boiled Milk
- 1/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 12 Cashew nuts
- 12 Whole Almonds , soaked and peeled
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- few strands of saffron(for garnish)
How to make Nungu Payasam / Ice Apple Kheer/ Tadgola Payasam/ Munjalu Payasam
- Chop the Nungu/Ice Apple fruit into tiny pieces and refrigerate for an hour.
- Soak cashews and almonds for about an hour in warm water and grind to a smooth paste using a mixer grinder.
- Take boiled full cream milk in a deep saucepan and once it starts to boil add the grinded paste to the milk and keep stirring it till it reduces to half. Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix well and let it boil for five more minutes on low flame.
- Add cardamom powder and mix it. Turn off the stove. Let it cool completely.
- To the cooled down milk mixture, add the refrigerated chopped Ice apple pieces.
- Mix it all well and add Saffron to it.
- Refrigerate the yummy Nungu / Ice Apple Payasam/Kheer for an hour and is ready to be served chilled
Mango Tadgola Dessert / Nungu Mango Pudding
Nungu Mango pudding is the another dessert of Nungu payasam
Recipe ingredients same as above for Nungu Payasam / Ice Apple Kheer
1 finely chopped ripe Mango
- Follow the above procedure for Ice Apple Kheer/Nungu Payasam and add finely chopped ripe mango to the Nungu Payasam . Can add powdered sugar if needed to adjust the sweetness .
Note : Alphonsa Mango goes well with this pudding.