Fruits and Vegetables
A healthy and balanced diet should have Vegetables and fruits in it. Vegetables and fruits are the major source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and plant chemicals. There are many varieties of fruit and vegetables available and many ways to prepare, cook and serve them. Consuming vegetables and fruits on a regular basis may help to protect against cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Eating three kinds of vegetables and two kinds of fruits on a daily basis is linked to a well-balanced, regular diet and a healthy, active lifestyle. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends consuming at least 400g each day to reap their health and nutrition benefits.
Benefits of eating fruits and vegetables
- Helps to maintain a healthy body.
- Improves digestion and constipation.
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Reduce Obesity
- Develop the power of eyesight.
- Prevents Cancer.
- Stimulate our body growth and development.
- Promotes hair growth and skin texture.
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases and major health problems.
Scientific research shows that regular intake of fruit and vegetables will reduce the risk of major diseases like Type 2 Diabetics, you have a lower risk of stroke, cancer, cardiovascular diseases and hyper tension.
Varieties of fruits and vegetables
When handling food that will be eaten raw, hygiene is imperative, and such food must be cleaned, handled, and stored properly to minimize contamination. Antioxidants contained in these food products play a key role in preventing cancer. A wide range of health benefits have been linked to leafy green vegetables like spinach, maitake and fruits rich in vitamin C and beta carotenes, including a decreased risk of a variety of diseases.
Vegetables are available in many varieties and can be classified as follows :
- Leafy green – Methi leaves, spinach and pasalai keerai
- Cruciferous – cabbage, cauliflower, broad beans and broccoli
- Marrow – pumpkin (white and orange), cucumber and zucchini
- Root – potato, sweet potato and Cassava-yam
- Edible plant stem – carrot and beetroot
- Allium – onion, and garlic.
Pulses are edible seeds from legume plants. By cooking legumes, the nutritional quality of the food increases, digestion is aided, and harmful toxins are eliminated. A plant-rich diet that includes legumes may assist in preventing the development of various chronic diseases, when eaten as part of a balanced diet. Legumes also contain proteins essential for growth and development in children, teenagers, and pregnant women.
- Soy products – soy sauce and soybeans
- Legume flours – ragi flour, puttu flour and maida flour
- Dried beans and peas – red kidney beans, green beans, chickpeas and lentils
- Fresh beans and peas – green peas, butter beans, broad beans
Some simple ways to serve fruits and vegetables include:
- Fruit and vegetable salads
- Vegetable stir-fries
- Fruit and vegetables juice
- Fruit pudding
- Vegetable soups
Fruit can be consumed by anyone, even by people with diabetes. Natural sugar is present in every fruit. Compared with other fruits, mangoes and sapota contain a high amount of sugar. Fructose and glucose are the two types of sugar in fruit. Glucose and fructose content differs significantly from fruit to fruit, with most fruits containing about half glucose and half fructose. Insulin is needed to metabolize glucose, which raises blood sugar. In contrast, Fructose does not raise blood sugar levels. In fact, it is broken down by the liver. As children are involved in many physical activities, they need more energy than adults. They will have more energy, concentration and be healthier by eating fruits and vegetables.
Common types of fruits :
- Calories rich fruit -Sapota(Chikoo)
- Fleshy Fruit – Apple, Pomegranate and custard apple
- Tropical and exotic – Bananas, ripe papaya, indian guava, pineapple, and mangoes
Where do you buy Indian Fruits and Vegetables Online in Uk?
Natural fruits and vegetables are available in Lakshmi Stores, UK, the Online Indian Supermarket. A healthy lifestyle begins with adding fruits and vegetables to your diet. Only Lakshmi shores will have farm-fresh fruits and vegetables of the highest quality. We have all types of the best Indian products available online. Try it out right now and have a healthy living.